Create a disaster resilient university.
Protect the University's mission by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from all major emergencies/disasters.
- Provide emergency management oversight, coordination, and situational awareness to a broad and diverse group of University partners.
- Employ an integrated all-hazards risk based approach for mitigation, response, continuity of operations, recovery, and preparedness planning.
- Create a "culture of preparedness" among students and employees by improving awareness and comprehension of what to do before, during, and after major emergency and disaster incidents.
- Develop and implement strategies to achieve multidimensional and redundant emergency communication capabilities.
- Build local, state, national, and international partnerships with other entities that share a vested interest in the enrichment of higher education emergency management.
Engaging in an integrated and coordinated emergency management program provides the University with a number of benefits, including:
- Protection of life, property, the environment, essential services, and critical facilities.
- Reduced vulnerability and exposure to future major emergency and disaster incidents.
- Diminished post-disaster economic hardship for the campus and community.
- Reduced short-term and long-term recovery and reconstruction costs.
- Quicker resumption of University functions, including teaching, research, and service.
- Increased cooperation and communication within the community through the planning process, training, and exercising.
What we do:
- Maintain the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP).
- Oversee multiple notification methods to facilitate emergency communications, such as the Emergency Notification Network.
- Ensure compliance with the National Incident Management System and other emergency management regulations.
- Participate in and conduct numerous exercises annually to empower participants, examine plans and equipment, and refine emergency decision making processes.
- Develop and implement outreach programs to promote emergency management awareness, confidence, and preparedness across the UM community.
Our location & contact info:
1535 Levante Avenue
Coral Gables, FL 33146